All You Need is Love and Family
This Valentine’s Day, we are asking President Biden and Dr. Jill Biden to provide relief to families separated by Trump. In addition to being reunited in the United States, these families deserve citizenship, resources, and care, along with a commitment that family separation will never happen again. Join the ACLU in demanding action for separated families. Tweet our digital valentine to the President and Dr. Biden.
The Trump administration cruelly separated over 5,500 families. The ACLU was there from the start, filing a national class-action lawsuit that successfully blocked the policy. Thousands of families have been reunited as a result. However, families remain separated today. President Biden created a family reunification task force which has a broad mandate of reuniting families in the United States, protecting them from deportation, and providing care. However, all the separated families need immediate action — they cannot wait 4 months for a task force to make recommendations.
The work to undo this damage must be a top priority for the Biden administration and we hope the task force acts swiftly. That's why we are urging the family reunification task force to commit to the following actions:
- Find and reunite all the families, and ensure they can live in the United States together, free from detention and deportation
- Provide immediate protections from deportation and support a pathway to citizenship for all separated families
- Establish resources and redress funds that includes coverage of trauma-informed mental health services
- Make systemic changes to end family separations forever
- Pursue investigations of and accountability for those responsible
Tweet this digital valentine to the President and the First Lady to make sure they know our demands.